Information about Year 6
A message from Mr Harrison
A warm welcome to all of the children new to Year 6. Prepare to enter the cosmic world of Year 6 where anything and everything is possible and the universe is the limit!
To begin the Autumn Term, Year 6 shall be learning about space: the Earth, Sun and Moon; the Solar System; a D&T project designing, building and evaluating a Mars Rover vehicle; writing from various genres, including despriptive, perauasive and report writing. Plus much, much more!
Alongside this topic, we will be reading the novel, 'Cosmic' by Frank Cottrell Boyce. This will provide many opportunities for discussion and writing. A major aim of the Autumn Term will be to further develop the children's learning behaviours in preparation for their eventual step up into secondary school. This is about developing basic skills, nurturing a love of learning and building our school learning behaviours of: Respect, Resourcefulness, Resilience, Reflectiveness, Reciprocity and Responsibility.
Let the journey begin!
Our Recovery Curriculum aims to restore the mental health and rebuild the resilience of our pupils to allow them to become learners again by:
· Recognising the experiences had by all.
· Restoring trust and relationships with staff.
· Re-establishing friendships and social interactions.
· Regaining structure and routine.
· Rebuilding a sense of community.
· Regulating their emotions and managing behaviours.
· Re-engaging them in learning.
· Preparing them for transition.
· Explore and tune into individual needs, anxieties and worries which may have surfaced.